Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ahem...

Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so. 
-John Berryman in Dream Song 14

I can't say that I fully agree with good ole Johnny boy there, but I do love a good contradiction. You see, Berryman does believe this and he says it anyways. I remember the first time I read this poem, I literally laughed out loud then squirmed uncomfortably in the library chair that had smelled the least like napping homeless guy that day (aka JB himself). Was he right? Am I boring? Is he wrong? Is he twisting my nipple on purpose here? Nowadays, especially since I am writing this in a Comfort Inn in Thankgodiwasn'tbornhere, NV, I know it to be both and I think Berryman did too. But what we often forget is that life is really boring sometimes. Berryman knew this. So what do we do about it? Well, he found his oatmeal tasted best alongside a nice glass of Cutty Sark. I, on the other hand, am on a mission to find this boredom as amusing as possible, because goddamn it in the end, life is pretty fucking amusing if you want it to be.

So, it is in the honor of the contradictions in life that I start this blog. I hope to write to understanding that life is humorous and hard. I hope to share with you the good things I find along my way, the amusing shared tales of misery and general badassness, decent to great music, trials and tribulations of teaching, life in the midwest, smart to stupid people, and everyone and anything else in between that comes my way. I hope in the process I can remember the general things that define my days and that all of you can share a piece of that absurdity.

I will get better at this.

CJC

No comments:

Post a Comment